In line with its earlier intention to lockdown the state on Wednesday 1st April 2020, Abia State Inter-Ministerial Committee on Coronavirus has met and agreed to go ahead with the decision.
Consequently, Secretary to the State Government, Barr. Chris Ezem has outlined measures to be put in place in the enforcement of the lockdown.
The measures, made available to Jungle Journalist Media Limited, are as follows:
1. Accordingly, Abia State Governor Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu, has approved the lockdown of the state from Wednesday April 1, 2020, for 1 week in the first instance.
However, people or institutions rendering essential services, such as security agencies – Police, Federal Road Safety Corps, Nigeria Security and Civil Defense, TIMAAS, Fire Services, Hospitals, pharmaceuticals, media, eateries, shops within the neighborhood, filling stations are exempted.
The Committee strongly advised citizens to stay at home, but if you must come out, you must wear face mask.
2. The State borders remain closed till further notice. However, vehicles carrying foods, medical and pharmaceutical items, Petroleum products and other essential items are exempted.
3. In order to avoid overcrowding and body contact, social gatherings of all kinds; weddings, burial ceremonies, meeting of all colourations and religious activities are suspended forthwith.
Attention of government has been drawn on some people who deliberated flouted the earlier directive of government on public gatherings and crowd control. I wish to reiterate that Transition Committee Chairman and Traditional Rulers in their domains must enforce government directives without fail.
4. On the part of the citizenry, they should always maintain high level of hygiene by constantly washing their hands with running water and soap, wear face masks, apply alcoholic based sanitizers as well as practice social distancing of 1.5meters at all time.
5. Other directives issued earlier on transportation, hospitality industry, etc are still in force.
Finally, Abia State Government earnestly feel the pains and sacrifices every citizen must make so that together we will win the battle against coronavirus.