By Sebastine Ebhuomhan
Sunday, 3rd January, 2021.
A lot has been written on the pre-election suit at the Federal High Court in Abuja on the 2020 Edo governorship election. In the past 72 hours, particular efforts have been made by known agents of the two men that are the subjects of court inquest to change court record from outside.
On the basis of a vital observation in this essay, the following emanated statement will suffice to buttress attempts strenuously and unlawfully being made to interrupt recorded court proceedings in the suits.
Please, read and note the public statement below.
THE BULLETS OF THE HARMLESS RABBIT MEDIA TEAM (BHR)
THE PURPORTED FORGERY CASE AGAINST GOV. OBASEKI (5)
WHAT THE JUDGE MIGHT CONSIDER.
1. In the presence of the original document, every other copy, whether it is certified or not, becomes obsolete and void. This stems from the fact that forging of a document is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.
2. In this case, the alleged forging of the degree certificate is to enhance the qualifying status of the forger. That is, to prove that he is a graduate of the university, when in reality, as the plaintiff alleged, he is not.
3. However, the university did not only confirm that the defendant was admitted and was graduated from the institution, it also attested that he was issued an ORIGINAL certificate. That has substantially vitiated the alleged INTENT of forgery by the forger.
4. And that leaves the issue under contention solely to the propriety of the CONTENTS of the copies presented and accepted as exhibits by the plaintiff.
5. Like we mentioned in the beginning of this opinion, whenever there is a conflict between the CONTENTS of an ORIGINAL and that of a COPY of a document, that of the ORIGINAL would naturally suffice over that of the COPY. This is because, the COPY was made from the ORIGINAL, and in the process of COPYING, something could alter the CONTENT.
6. However, the ORIGINAL must be attested to have emanated from the issuing authority, in this case, the University of Ibadan.
7. Once the university authority confirms that the ORIGINAL, that is in the possession of the defendant, is the one issued to him in 1979, every other consideration would naturally fall flat in the face of logic and commonsense. Logic and commonsense would reiterate that no sane person, who is in possession of a genuine ORIGINAL, would abandon same and proceed to forge a fake COPY for any purpose whatsoever.
8. It is therefore my opinion that this case shall be dismissed for lack of substance.
BHR MEDIA TEAM, firing live from Abuja.
The statement above was carefully written, bandied and distributed publicly on the forgery and perjury case against Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki of the PDP, by the BHR after the last hearing. The BHR is a heavily funded but faceless media team of the embattled governor and his beleaguered deputy.
The need for this condemnable hatchet by the governor’s paid hand tools became overwhelming as mounting revelations in court continue to underline how Obaseki allegedly presented forged documents, committed other criminal offences and lied under oath to win election for both his first and second term.
When carefully reviewed, this statement above admits virtually all the allegations APC filed against Governor Obaseki. Yet, for a suit that is at the most critical stage of determination, it is not only sub-judicial for what it seeks to achieve through the back door but reprehensible for three (3) reasons when it is considered that Obaseki is yet to formally furnish the court all his originals and details of his election documents as juristically expected at the material time. These reasons, the APC legal team under the leadership of the able Chief Akin Olujimi (SAN) and state leadership under the capable Col. David Imuse (Rtd.) must now carefully note ahead of the next sitting.
One, this statement is a deliberate attempt to distort facts, misinform the public and create unwarranted confusion in Edo State ahead of the court’s forthcoming judgment. Two, this statement is a clear and wicked attempt to confuse, shape the mind and write judgment for the Hon Judge of the Federal High Court of FCT, Justice Ahmed Ramat Mohammed, who has shown beyond reasonable doubts since first day, his readiness, sincerity and courage to deliver justice in the two suits before him. Third, this statement openly and improperly seeks to unlawfully intervene and interrupt a smooth legal process, sub-judicially.
Considered against the fallacious, baseless and unsubstantiated allegation of Comrade Adams Oshiomhole seeking to influence Justice Mohammed’s court for APC, earlier made by Mr Philip Shaibu (who has yet to clear himself in the other suit) and against the numerous media posts by Obaseki’s media assistants variously describing the trial as “heading nowhere”, “dead on arrival” etc., there is an urgent need to, on behalf of the plaintiffs: Mr Williams Edobor and the APC; as well as the party candidate: Pastor Andrew Osagie Ize-Iyamu, draw His Lordship’s attention to this cancerous malaise on Monday, 4th January, 2021.
Finally, this writer wishes Justice Mohammed, all the plaintiff and defence counsel and witnesses, the Nigerian Judiciary, members of APC and all the other political parties, the Federal Republic of Nigeria as well as entire Nigerians a just, equitable, secure, peaceful, progressive and qualitative 2021.
Happy New Year!
Sebastine EBHUOMHAN is a multiple award-winning journalist from Edo State resident in Abuja. He can be reached at: email@example.com; Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.